77% OF MARKETERS USE EXPERIENTIAL MARKETING AS A VITAL PART OF A BRAND’S ADVERTISING STRATEGY (EVENTTRACK)
IN THE AGE OF INFORMATION AND SMART CUSTOMERS, OFFERING INTERACTIVE BRAND EXPERIENCE IS THE FUTURE OF MARKETING.
This detailed guide by WOWSOME to experiential or engagement marketing will help you understand, plan, and execute an engaging interactive experience for your target audience.
Refer to the table of contents to the right to directly jump to a particular section.
Or download this guide in the PDF format to read later at your convenience.
FREE EXPERIENTIAL MARKETING GUIDE FOR BEGINNERS
Download this beginner guide to experiential marketing by WOWSOME to understand, plan, execute, and achieve higher ROI on your marketing campaigns.
A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO EXPERIENTIAL MARKETING
Discover the origin of experiential advertising as we take you to 1893! That's right as experiential advertising goes a long way back when car brands like General Motors and Ford Motor Company came up with innovative car shows. This short introduction to the interactive marketing will:
- get you familiar with the basics of an experiential marketing campaign
- talk about some successful interactive campaigns
- outline basics of crafting an experiential marketing strategy
QUICK REFERENCE GUIDE TO MAJOR ELEMENTS IN AN INTERACTIVE MARKETING CAMPAIGN
This quick reference guide covers different elements of experiential marketing. No matter where you are in the journey of understanding the world of interactive marketing, going through this A to Z guide will definitely expose you to the breadth of terminology and concepts relevant to the new age world of marketing.
DIFFERENT VARIATIONS AND FORMS UNDER THE UMBRELLA OF INTERACTIVE MARKETING
Experiential marketing can take various forms ranging from a simple trial of products at an event to an elaborated activation employing a virtual or augmented reality zone. Depending on the context and your budget, you can choose to go with any type. In this post, we discuss:
- three broad dimensions of experiential marketing
- types of campaigns based on direct and indirect reach
- examples from across industries for each category
TRADITIONAL MARKETING MIX REDEFINED FOR INTERACTIVE MARKETING
You might be familiar with the four Ps of marketing- Product, Price, Place, and Promotion. The marketing framework is popular for its utility to craft a good marketing strategy and aid in decision-making. In this post, we discuss:
- revisit the 4 P's in the modern marketing context
- how we can apply the 4P framework to experiential marketing
- how to analyze, contextualize and optimize interactive campaigns
BENEFITS OF INTERACTIVE MARKETING
With a variety of marketing tactics and strategies available out there, should you care about interactive marketing? What is it about an experience that makes it worth for your brand to invest time and money into it? If you think about it, marketing is all about connecting and communicating with your target audience to build a relationship. And experiential marketing offers you that opportunity.
In this post, we discuss:
- advantages of an interactive experience in terms of ROI
- how a successful experiential campaign can give you content for social media
- how media and PR can give you that much-needed publicity to your brand
DISCOVER THEMES AND TRENDS IN THE WORLD OF INTERACTIVE MARKETING
Experiential marketing might have existed since 1893 but it has evolved to match to the changing customer requirements and tech advancements. Every year, brands come up with unique strategies to engage with their customers and some go on to become wildly successful to emerge as trends. In this post, we look at:
- 5 major trends in interactive marketing that were popular in 2018
- exploring themes that have emerged in the narrative of marketing culture
- role and impact of technology like augmented reality and virtual on experiential
HOW TO CREATE AN EXPERIENTIAL MARKETING CAMPAIGN
What do you need to do to plan and execute a stellar interactive marketing campaign? A traditional marketing strategy can be very different from a new-age experiential even though fundamentals of connecting with a customer might be the same. In this post, we discuss:
- critical elements of planning an interactive campaign
- a step-by-step approach to creating your first experiential activation
- relevant examples to help you think and plan your own strategy
FESTIVAL EXPERIENTIAL MARKETING PLAN
Festivals, be it the traditional Indian festivals like Diwali, Holi or music festivals like Supersonic, offer an incredible opportunity to brands to showcase their creativity and connect with people. Doing a successful festival experiential event require a lot of things to go well together. Here we discuss what it takes to create an interactive marketing event in the festival season:
- what is an experiential event and why is it a crucial part of your strategy
- how to choose a theme
- ideating the key actions to activate the event
- executing with right kind of resources
7 TECHNOLOGIES & HARDWARE FOR INTERACTIVE MARKETING
Experiential marketing might be an age-old strategy employed by brands. However, traditional methods were limited to trade show stalls, product sample distributions, etc. Today brands have a number of technologies that can take the customer brand experience to a different level.
Here we discuss:
- most popular technologies at your disposal to create a kick-ass experiential campaign
- focus on emerging B2B applications of virtual reality, augmented reality, and mixed reality
- role of 3D printing, IoT, and other additional hardware to craft a consistent interactive campaign
SKILLS & ROLES REQUIRED TO EXECUTE AN INTERACTIVE CAMPAIGN
There are various aspects to any large-scale experiential campaign. A successful campaign requires a team having people with different set of skills working together. In this post, we cover:
- skills required to deliver an experiential campaign
- team roles and responsibilities in your dream team
- what it takes to work with such a diverse team
LESSONS FROM FAILED EXPERIENTIAL CAMPAIGNS
While there are many examples of successful marketing campaigns, the underlying truth is that there are more examples of the ones that did not work. Understanding what went wrong in other experiential campaigns will help you prepare for any challenges that may arise during your activation.
In this post, you will learn:
- why brands fail to capture the essence of experiential
- 3 most common mistakes you can make in your strategy
- what you can do to avoid making these mistakes
HOW WOWSOME BUILT AN INNOVATIVE CAMPAIGN FOR RCB IN IPL 2018
Cricket is considered as a religion in India and Indian Premier League is a gold mine of marketing opportunities for brands. One of the most popular IPL teams, Royal Challengers Bangalore engaged with their fans through a unique mixed reality game powered by WOWSOME.
In this case study, you'll find a glimpse into:
- a highly successful brand engagement campaign that ran for 7 days engaging nearly 700 people
- how knowledge of your target audience can help you craft a customized experience for them
- WOWSOME unique approach to delivering solutions that lead to increased brand awareness and connection
LEARN HOW TO HARNESS THE POWER OF UGC IN INTERACTIVE CAMPAIGN
User-Generated Content plays a crucial role in your experiential marketing campaign. It is way more than simply user comments and discussion forums on your online channels.
In this post, learn:
- what criterion makes a piece of content eligible to be termed as user-generated
- why is it so important for the success of any modern marketing campaign
- how it helps you start a conversation with your target audience, and
- discover simple ways to integrate user-generated content into your experiential marketing campaign.
Through this experiential marketing guide, our objective is to raise awareness and educate people about experiential marketing in the 21st century. It is more difficult than ever to get the attention of people to your message. People are bombarded by advertisements and promotional messages from all side. Unless you stand out from others, you cannot survive in this attention economy. Quicker the attention you can get and longer you can sustain it, higher are your chances of making the right noise and reach out to your ideal customer.
Experiential marketing with the aid of technology like augmented reality helps you in gaining the attention and engage people with your brand. In the coming future, this technology is set to become a part and parcel of daily lives of people. AR-based filters in mainstream mobile apps like Instagram and Snapchat are already a craze among the millennial generation. If brands can come up with innovative ways to incorporate this technology in their communication, it is sure to strike a chord and build buzz among your customers.
While the technology itself can be an aid to interactive marketing, like any marketing strategy, it remains incomplete without an interesting narrative. Modern marketing is all about storytelling where your customers are the heroes in that story. Technology without a narrative or story might be able to attract people at first but could fail to generate a brand recall value in the long term. This is why you must ensure that you do not forget this basic element of marketing your brand or product and ensure that technology enhances this element rather than putting it secondary.
We, at WOWSOME, consider storytelling as a central element while proposing and delivering solutions. Mixed Reality, which lies at an intersection of virtual and augmented reality, offers an excellent opportunity of telling an interactive story. In such experience, people are active participants in your brand story instead of passive recipients of a hear-and-forget brand message!
Take the latest example of Bandersnatch- the Netflix Black Mirror movie where viewers get to play a decisive part to carry the story forward. Imagine the possibilities where you deliver your core brand value and message through an interactive experience like that in a mall, trade show, exhibitions, bus stands, roads, or public spots! Put your customers at the centre of your story and use technology to allow them to interact with your brand.
Welcome to the future of marketing!
If you liked this guide, share this with your coworkers, associates, and anybody looking to revolutionize their marketing efforts. Give your suggestions to improve this guide or share your thoughts on experiential marketing by writing to us or connecting with us on social media.
If you'd like to explore interactive marketing solutions using mixed reality or augmented reality in your organization, feel free to get in touch with us and discuss your ideas. Our vision is to bring Mixed Reality to mainstream marketing in 2019 and we would love to work with you to start and spread this trend!
Table of Contents
- What is Experiential Marketing? The only answer you will ever need
- A to Z of Experiential Marketing
- Types of Experiential Marketing
- 4Ps of Experiential Marketing
- Why Experiential Marketing? Benefits of Interactive Marketing
- Experiential Marketing Trends
- Experiential Marketing Strategy
- How to Create Killer Experiential Event In Festival Season
- Experiential Marketing Technology
- What Goes Into A Successful Team for Experiential Marketing
- Which Mistakes to Avoid While Planning An Interactive Campaign
- Case Study: Experiential Marketing Campaign for RCB in IPL 2018
- User-Generated Content in Experiential Marketing